Yes! Although members of the general public are generally not knowledgeable enough to inspect, test, or maintain a fire sprinkler system, there are a few simple ways in which they can help:
- Never paint any fire sprinkler.
- Never hang anything from any part of a fire sprinkler system.
- Never stack items close to fire sprinklers. (Tops of storage or furniture should be at least 18 inches below fire sprinklers.)
- Always report damage to any part of a sprinkler system immediately.
- Always make sure control valves are in the open position.